09 January 2006

the year in review:2005

January: celebrated New Year's at the "Osterhouse"; moved out of my own place in Lawrence, KS back to Mission, KS and in with my friend Cindy; started a new job as an Office Manager for a consulting firm on the Plaza; gave away my black lab Coal to a teenage boy who works at the vet and lives on a farm; began at least once monthly, usually more often than that, lunches with Jon; ran into my ex named Kendall at Time Warner; watched the Super Bowl at Woody's; started meeting with a new small group that was short-lived but the women were still fabulous; wrote my first Journey piece; saw my friends Michele and Dale off to South Carolina

February: went on my first ever business trip; had a bunch of car problems; spent an entire weekend (day and night) with my friend Elizabeth; had dinner with ex named Kendall who wanted to start something again but I refused him - the dinner provided good closure; went to Kirksville, home of Truman State University, with my friend Heather to visit her parents for a weekend; found a band-aid in my food (I actually had to spit it out of my mouth) at Outback Steakhouse and vowed never to eat there again; went to an Oscar Party

March: celebrated St. Patty's Day; celebrated my cousin Ali's 16th birthday; realized that 10-year reunion was just a few months away and started a weight-loss program, promptly failed miserably, and gave up; my friend sent me flowers on the 5 year anniversary of my mom's death; spent a great day with my friend Lydia visiting the arboretum and eating sushi

April: saw Nida's mom and stepdad off to D.C.; went to a bonfire with Anand and got lost on the way; dressed like a hippie and went to a 70s party out at Bret McClure's place where I ran into a couple guys from high school - Nick and PJ; ran into a few other guys from high school - Rod and Jim and Rob - at Fuel and thus our little "clique" of many years ago was somewhat re-formed; sand volleyball season started; went to Springfield for the weekend with my friend Mikki to see her boyfriend's band play; took my cousin Ali to see Mercy Me in concert, possibly the greatest concert/worship experience I have ever been to


May: started a blog; found out I have PolyCystic Ovarian Disease and may not be able to have children of my own; participated in the Amazing Race in Kansas City; got a love note from my friend Nida; on Friday the 13th had an egg fall from a tree and miss my nose by 1/2 an inch; tried to convince a guy his name was Dave when it was actually Steve; went on an all-girl retreat with the Gathering; participated in a corporate fast for the Gathering and then broke it altogether at Olive Garden; bid my good friend Anand off to be a F.O.C.U.S. missionary; started a coed book group reading Captivating; received public praise from my boss; fell in love with the movie Horse Whisperer all over again; went to Juyapalooza Part Deux

June: had an alarm clock fall on my head; had a crazy man get out of his car (that also contained a doberman) and stomp over to my window and proceed to yell at me while flailing about; had dinner at Tasso's with a fabulous group of people and even saw a belly dancer; saw Footloose live; celebrated my sister Lisa's, Moose's, Deanna's, Michele's, Ryan's birthdays and my sister's, my aunt and uncle's, my grandparents anniversaries; saw the movie Crash and LOVED it; wrote about my mom on what would have been her birthday; pondered what it would be like to be such good friends with God that he has a nickname for me; said goodbye to a newfound friend as SpankinHankins moved to Springfield; turned 28 and had the best party ever; looked into attending Forerunner School of Ministry which is connected to IHOP and God slammed that door in my face; became engaged

July: went to First Fridays in the art district in KC; saw War of the Worlds and thought If not for Dakota Fanning this movie woulda been a waste; discovered the Jesus that rides a Harley through Jeff over at SoIGo; discovered frills and the art of feminine dressing; was awed by a fantastic fireworks display put on by God; prayed for the people in London-town; revisited 1995 in many ways; attended 10-year high school reunion; discovered just how strange my friend Jon Pruitt is when he declared to me he daydreams about getting mugged at gunpoint; decided to move out of Cindy's place and in with Nida; wasted words and compared a boy to gatorade; started reading Wild at Heart and Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2; ate with my hands when my friend Anand made me a traditional Indian meal

August: became increasingly dissatisfied with my life; went to Manhattan for an extended weekend at my dad's new lake house - only I worked all weekend; made a compilation cd of all my favorite songs from commercials; welcomed my nephew into the world; said goodbye to all my friends and family as I made the impromptu move to Alaska to begin a new life; bought Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway cd

September: settled into classes at ACC and began adjusting to community life and living with much younger people; wondered about the difference of being saved from something and being saved to something; took lots of pictures of this beautiful place I live in; had a bonfire on the beach; did the Polar Plunge; was accused of being too white

October: published my testimony on my blog; was chosen to go to Fall Blast in Koyuk, AK (up by Nome) where many incredible things happened and met God in many unbelievable ways; realized that for the first time I am not doing things for the approval of others but for the approval of God; discovered Veronica's; had the most amazing worship experience in the backseat of an old van to the sound of Shawn McDonald; was elected to serve the students as a member of S.A.L.T.; became perfectly flawed; went to Anchorage for the weekend with Jesse

November: went to Homer, AK - a little fishing village - and fell absolutely in love with it; saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and decided I am going to have to read the 4-part trilogy; started and finished reading The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe; realized that I am no better than Lot's wife - I am just a pile of salt for all the "looking back" I've been doing; discovered that in a plane crash landing in water all you need to do is just loosen your shirt a little; was given an Eskimo name - Iirpak, meaning Big Eyes; had an incredible date with Jesus on the day after Thanksgiving; had much to be thankful for; spent Thanksgiving weekend in a beautiful setting

December: participated in Schnupps week - an intensive counseling clinic; said goodbye to a fellow-student; studied mad hard for finals and had it pay off in the end with all As; slacked on blogging; went home for break; got sick; went to Cali for Christmas and New Years; got sick and went to the ER; missed my ACC friends immensely; saw old friends, met new ones; spent time with family; saw The Chronicles of Narnia; got to hang with my cousins; celebrated my friend Peggy's engagement; had dinner with 9 of the best girlfriends currently in my life

2 comments:

so i go said...

i'm so honored to be highlighted as a part of your 2005!!

enough about me.. ya know what was so cool about this post? just reading and watching God connect the dots, backward, obviously, but getting a sense of how He works in our hearts, how he nudges, pushes, pulls, and ultimately draws us into His will.

wow, wow, wow. loved the way you sewed this thread..

Mark D said...

So many links, so little time! What a year! I did take the time to read one (will be back to click others) and that was your testimony. It touched me deeply and I know that it will do the same for whoever reads it or whoever you share it with. We serve an AWESOME God!