26 November 2005

a date made in heaven...

I had a date last night. It was not just any date; it was THEE date. It was perfect. It was surprisingly simple yet impossibly romantic and extraordinarily intimate. We sat for hours, sometimes speaking, sometimes not. I sat there by the crackling fire, feet propped on the hearth, in a rocking chair, afghan on my lap, hot tea in my hand, two dogs at my feet, Christmas music softly playing in the background, as thick, heavy snowflakes came gently drifting down from Heaven piling in thick white blankets all around.

He started off sitting across from me. We talked. We strolled down memory lane. I told him about dates I had been on in the past. I recounted those that happened before I lost myself, my innocence, while I was still untainted. I told him how those were the dates I missed the most - effortless and pure, lacking in self-doubt. And he told me how he'd been out with a prostitute or two and how deeply he loved both of them despite what his friends thought. I told him of some favorite childhood memories: how we, as a family, used to gather in the family room on snowy nights around the wood-burning stove and all sleep there together, cozy and warm; how we'd all pile in the car and drive to Truman State Park and go sledding. He told me how he and his friends would have water fights all the time; how he would playfully tease his mom; and how he worked with his dad in the family business.

While the conversations were nice and easy, it was the comfortable silences we shared, when we were just "being" together, that the most was said. I would start thinking to myself that I didn't want the night to end and he would look at me with knowing eyes, as if to say It doesn't have to, Love. I would think to myself that I could see spending all my tomorrows with him. One glance from him and he quietly told me I want to be a part of all your memories. I thought to myself how I wished I could erase all the memories from all those other guys. Then I could feel him telling me If you let me love you, you'll never think about them again. I would start thinking how I felt out-of-place, out of my league, in his presence. As if on queue, he would squeeze my hand as if to say Shhh. You are here with me because I sought you; I pursued you. And I love you.

He started off the evening sitting across from me. Throughout our time together last night he got a little bit closer. By the end of the night he was in my heart. Forever.

4 comments:

amy said...

That ROCKS Christina. God took me on a date the other day too...and surprised my socks off. Perhaps I should blog about it too. :)

Miss you. Happy Thanksgiving. It sounds like it's pretty happy, though.

Anonymous said...

i linked a passage from this on my blog.

Stephen said...

I figured it out by the end!

Aim Claim said...

I got to your blog from Mark D. You are an amzazing writer, this entry really spoke to my heart, thanks for that. It is so easy for me to forget as a single women that I don't need a guy to fill me up or a date to make me happy... I only need to let God in... to be totally complete in His love.