01 July 2005

million dollar baby...

Betcha you think this post is going to be about the Academy award winning movie by the same name, eh? Well. You're wrong! It's about one girls trip into dressing more femininely.

Flowers. Lace. Frills. Ruffles. Sounds like something a little girl would wear, right? Yes. Well, not today. I, a 28 year-old woman, am wearing a lacy top with ruffles and frillies. You might be wondering why a mundane thing such as what I am wearing is worthy of a blog-post. Well those of you that know me also know that I do NOT do lace and frills. EVER! I never have, not since I was like 7 anyway. I am much too tomboyish for that.

Last night I went shopping* with a friend of mine who also last night became my shopping fairy godmother. Now she's moving and I will be s.o.l. without her but that's beside the point. I have been feeling recently like I need to - no WANT to - update my wardrobe with some more feminine girly things. Everyday I would step onto the elevator at work and look around. I work on the Plaza, the capital of trendiness in KC. I always got the feeling that I blended right in with the elevator walls. While my head knew that wasn't really true, my heart knew I needed a change. In a bad bad way. I went to stores that at first I had no idea why she was taking me to. I had been in them before and didn't like a single thing or if I liked it I swore, I was so sure, that it wouldn't look good on me anyway so why even hassle with trying it on. For the first time in a loooooong time I liked every single thing I tried on - and they were all very feminine pieces. That actually showed curves! CURVES! GASP! I was stunned! And sad at the same time because I have been hiding all this time in pants and plain t-shirts when I could've been wearing light and airy, breezy things - tops and skirts, etc... I left feeling like a million dollars, baby. And I also left with everything I tried on (which really reads I made an actual long-term commitment to dress more femininely in the future and in public and not just in a private dressing room in front of my friend).

And today, I stepped onto the elevator proudly wearing my lace and frills and felt simply FABULOUS! I am out of hiding now! And when the gentleman smiled at me and said, "Hi," I didn't shirk away, I actually smiled back and said, "It's a million-dollar day, isn't it?" Even though he didn't know what exactly I meant he said, "Yes. It is."

*Just the fact that I felt like shopping at all was a small miracle in itself because recently I have broken out in hives at even the idea of stepping into the mall. It's just been a mecca of depression and self-loathing. NO MORE!

No comments: