15 July 2005

we're gonna party like it's 1995...

Hey kids! Reunion is TOMORROW and like the post title says, "We're gonna party like it's 1995!" I am SURE I will have some good stories to tell after the reunion. I can't wait to see how much people have changed over the last 10 years. I wonder if all those rumors are true? Hmmm...

Top 10 Reasons I am dreading going to 10-year high school reunion this weekend:
10. Paying around $60 to go and see people I haven't seen in 10 years and likely won't see again for another 10 years (and I don't even get dinner AND it's not even an open bar!).
9. Seeing people I haven't seen in 10 years and having to listen to them talk about themselves all night long.
8. Seeing people I haven't seen in 10 years and having them ask me to talk about myself all night long - I HATE talking about myself (I am sure this stems from years of rejection that therapy never fixed).
7. Having to stare at all my classmates showing off their significant others and pretending to want to see their pictures of their children.
6. I graduated weighing in at 130 pounds. 10 years later I weigh in at… NOT 130 pounds!
5. Reliving the "old days": Tonya Harding's boyfriend attacks Nancy Kerrigan, Kurt Cobain commits suicide, OJ was acquitted, OK City bombing, Superman isn't so "superhuman" after all, the hottest summer in recorded history, the movie Congo is released (one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my opinion).
4. Realizing just how old I actually am. It's really been 10 years since I have graduated high school and this is all I have done with my life and I still have never been overseas?
3. Being afraid that some Anthony Michael Hall-esque guy from my past will suddenly realize that I am the one he's been waiting for all these years and the reason for the reunion is really so HE can reunite with ME!
2. The ever-present dilemma of "What do I wear?" The invitation said "Dressy Casual" but what does THAT even mean? Saturday afternoon will be a frenzy of trying on 20 different things and in an effort to not be "self-conscious" I will finally settle for the "Little Black Sweatpants" that I will "dress up" with the Bedazzler.
1. Because we know number 2 isn't really true (I would never wear sweat pants to a reunion, or anywhere really - especially that have been bedazzled) I will probably wear some knee-length dress and have everyone know that I haven't changed - my legs are STILL ghostly pale. One of my nicknames in high school was "Ghost." Thank you, Brandon Stewart. If you want to know the others, too bad!

Top 10 Reasons I am actually looking forward to Reunion this weekend:
10. Paying around $60 to go and see people I haven't seen in 10 years and won't see again for another 10 years and getting good material to laugh at them for at the NEXT reunion!
9. Even though I no longer weigh in at 130 pounds at least I still have a girlish figure - real men love curves, right?
8. Realizing I am still young and looking at all the promise my life has yet to unfold.
7. Getting to spend quality time with the friends I still keep in contact with while reuniting with those that I haven't kept in contact with.
6. Gloating that while everyone else is hitched and settled into a domesticated lifestyle I am still fabulously single - and loving it! Not to mention I don't have to lug around all those pictures and pretend that everyone wants to look at them!
5. Telling stories on each other about the last 10 years - and boy do I have stories I could tell on some people!
4. Reliving the "old days": Dakota Fanning was born (although we didn't know her then, she has become one of my favorite actresses!), Pulp Fiction came out, Nelson Mandela becomes South Africa's first black president, Jeffrey Dahmer is clubbed to death by another inmate, George Lucas starts writing the prequels, The Shawshank Redemption is released, Woodstock '94, Friends is aired, Braveheart wins Best Picture, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame opens.
3. Being hopeful that some Michael Schoeffling-esque guy will suddenly realize that I am the one he's been waiting for all these years and the reason for the reunion is really so HE can reunite with ME!
2. Seeing who of the "not-so-in crowd" became all they were meant to be and MORE!
1. Seeing who of the "in-crowd" are NOT what they used to be!

No comments: