28 January 2006

resting in my weaknesses...

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

I had an epiphane yesterday when I read this verse. I had read it several times before but it was different this time, like I was reading it for the very first time and it's meaning was made clear to me. Supernaturally; it was a divine imparting of wisdom. See, when I am weak my God's strength takes over. So often I live out of the feeling that I have to be strong, that I have to appear to have it all together. The problem with that is that it doesn't leave any room, any opportunity to show himself to me, to prove himself. Now, he doesn't need to prove himself but I need him to. This verse gives me permission to be weak, permission to rest in my weakness because resting in my weakness means resting in his strength. "I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses." I have this image of someone (me) standing on a roof yelling out, I am afraid of rejection! I struggle with identity issues! I put my self-worth in other people! And then I picture God bending down low opening his hands and scooping them (me) up and just letting them (me) rest there while he pours grace and love and value over them (me). It was exactly what I needed to hear and believe in. God's just freaking beautiful, eh?

1 comment:

Mark D said...

Aaaaaaaamen!!!!