19 May 2005

a date or not a date?

That IS the question folks... I am going out tonight. Yes. But do I call it a date? I don't know... I got a text message last week from a guy I knew a few years ago through another guy I knew that had feelings for me. It was odd to get a tm from him, but not so odd that I didn't respond with, "Yeah, why don't you give me a call sometime and we can meet for a brew?" Now, "a brew" has morphed into dinner and brews and possibly motorcycle riding afterwards (his motorcycle, not mine, by the way). I still don't know if it's a date or if we're just getting together randomly after having no contact for at least a couple years. How weird is this? His emails (yes we've graduated from texting to emailing) seem flirty but then if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't he always a little flirty?

Now, if this is a date, I feel panicky. Because a) I have taken to breaking out, in other words my forehead actually has red polka dots on it (and this is even after buying a few different conditioners to try and cure the problem); b) I am feeling decidedly plain recently, so plain I am unique in my plainness (I am C.J., Plain and Average); and c) I have gained weight since I saw him last, and not just a few pounds either. Like, I don't know 20 pounds maybe. So... I am, nonetheless, feeling panicky, anxious, nervous - for some reason; I never really liked this boy in the past but I don't know maybe he's changed in that grown a few inches, became more mature, and learned some skills in charm kind of way. We'll see... I will report tomorrow.

1 comment:

Janet said...

hi, just blogging through, and thought to put my two cents worth in....
If you want to enjoy time together, do just that. Enjoy being together, catching up, and find out what he's been up to in the past few years that you haven't seen him. I wouldn't read anymore into it than that at least for now. I think the key point here is to not take it too seriously. Staying friends can be a very good thing.
I find it sad that you see yourself as being plain. Define plain. Then you go on to talk about your weight.
Yes for health reason's it's important to keep tabs on our weight which I'm battling as well. That's for another discussion.
As far as you feeling plain, is that a bad thing? I don't see it as that. I would much rather spend time with someone who is a good listener, funny and good at conversation, rather than some glitzy don't break a nail type.
I hope I haven't offended you by interjecting my opinions here, but when folk's put themselves down it bothers me to see that. Everyone has merit on this earth, to share, to love to live.
Have fun on your motorcycle ride.