27 August 2005

i have arrived...

I am on campus now at Alaska Christian College and am loving it so far - most of it. I miss my friends, my family, my bed, and having my own room. But I went on a 6-mile hike today and barely broke a sweat in the 65 degree weather. That's what I am talkin' about! Pictures from the hike will come as soon as I can download to a cd and upload from the cd to my flickr account. I miss not having a curfew. This is something that I didn't even think about when I made the decision to come. But here I am, 28 years old and I have an 11pm curfew Sunday through Thursday and midnight on weekends. This is one thing that will definitely take some getting used to on my part. I am so used to just having the freedom to come and go as I please. We'll see if I can handle it!

I thought the guy/girl ratio here at the college would be about 50/50 like it has been in the past but it's about 2/3 female. But that's okay, i suppose. There are plenty of other men in Alaska!

These first 24 hours have been a little hard because I missed ALL of orientation and everyone has already bonded and become friends or they are here for the second year. So I feel a little disconnected. Plus, I am the oldest student at 28, which probably makes it harder for the others to relate to me. I am sure I will feel more connected as time goes on here but it remains to be seen.

The food is pretty good and I was kinda surprised by that. But then I found out that the chef here used to be the chef at The Princess Lodge here in Alaska. I still imagine I will lose weight. I don't have a car, which means I have to walk everywhere. Plus, you add in all the running from bears and moose I will be doing and the hiking, and I am bound to lose some weight, right? That's a goal of mine anyway.

No comments: