14 August 2005

another musical post...

Do you ever watch a commercial and just love the music and you're left wondering Who is that? What song is that? How do I find out? Don't you wish they put the name of the song and the artist at the bottom of the screen like they do on MTV when they show music videos?

Well, I give you... What's that Called? It's a database that is frequently updated with commercials and what songs are featured on them. Music from TV Commercials is another one but I seem to like the first one best.

A few days ago I downloaded a bunch of songs and made a great cd 0f 19 tracks and almost all of them are from TV commercials.
Days Go By/Dirty Vegas - Mitsubishi
Dance to the Underground/Radio 4 - Mitsubishi
Starry Eyed Surprise/Oakenfold - Diet Coke
Stick Em Up/Quarashi - Mitsubishi
Uncontrollable Urge/DEVO - Mitsubishi
I Want to Break Free/Queen - Coca-Cola C2
Fine and Dandy/Bike Ride - Mitsubishi (and I think it's also in a new Adidas commercial)
Jerk It Out/Caesars - iPod
Molly's Chambers/Kings of Leon - Volkswagen
Move On/Jet - not featured in a commercial that I know of
Way of the Light/The Gift of Gab - also not in a commercial
Rollover DJ/Jet - none
Cannonball/The Breeders - none
Name of the Game/Crystal Method - Mitsubishi
New Year/The Breeders - none
Song 2/Blur - Nissan
Positive Contact/Deltron 3030 - Mitsubishi
Are You Gonna Be My Girl/Jet - none
Dance to the Underground (remix)/Radio 4

Mitsubishi takes the cake for best use of music in their commercials.

I am working on another compilation cd featuring more commercial music (Gap, Levi's, Saturn, Target, more Nissan stuff, and even more Mitsubishi stuff).

I went and saw Must Love Dogs the other night and saw a preview for Rent: the Movie based on the musical of the same name. It was a great preview featuring the stars of the movie singing 525, 600 minutes from the soundtrack interspersed with clips of the movie. I got the chills and literally teared up during this trailer! I can't wait for the movie! Taye Diggs is starring and I just love him!

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I think Bruce is one of the only musicians I can think of (off the top of my head anyhow) that has not commercially sold his music. Even Bob Dylan sold out to be in a Victoria's Secret Ad! (that just doesn't go together...Dylan and D Cups). Anyhow, I noticed you have Devil's & Dust in your music list, what do you think of it? Have you seen Bruce in concert?