06 June 2005

movies, thunder, boys and bands (NOT boy bands!)...

I saw Crash on Friday night - it was a great movie with a great cast! I was impressed by how real it was. I thought the makers did a great job of accurately portraying the misconceptions, judgements and racial stereotypes that people in general have and how at the end of the day no one (person, race, gender, class) is better than anyone else or worse than anyone else.

Saturday I went and had my hair done for the party that night. I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like straightening it myself since I always get hot when I use that flat-iron and my roommate doesn't believe in having the a/c on yet and it's 85 and HUMID as hell! But mostly I was just lazy! The girl that did my hair did a great job and she commented that my "hair is so healthy, it's gorgeous!" I was flattered! She told me that it had been a very long time since she had seen anyone in there with hair as healthy and as pretty as mine. Very nice to hear! It pays to not overdose on products and styles that dry hair out. All these years of not using hairspray and other alcohol-containing products is paying off! And I don't wash it every day which is, in fact, the best thing to do - or not do, whichever. So I went to the party looking fabulous and feeling fabulous!

It was an outdoor party and we all wondered when the sky would open up on us. We were under a tornado watch for 2 hours of it but the sky didn't seem very cloudy. So we were dancing the night away to the rhythms that the band was laying down. Then within 2 seconds the temperature dropped 15 degrees and we knew it would be any sec... Yep! There it goes! The faucets were turned on and we had a good shower - or power wash more like it. We all started grabbing the bands equipment and headed for safer ground - indoors! All that equipment was just begging for lightning to come and strike. But everything made it inside and all was well. We were then treated with my friend Chad's guitar-playing and singing everything from Bon Jovi's Wanted: Dead or Alive to The Eagles' Hotel California and everything in between! It was a perfect night! And my friend even met someone fabulous that night and they will be going out soon! YAY for her! I am jealous - but so happy!

Yesterday was my aunt's 50th surprise birthday party at my dad's! So fun! She had no idea and was so surprised! (I took all the directions with me so I could decorate my boss' office this morning because his 50th was last Friday and he didn't think we would do anything! HA!) Last night I went to Fusion, a Christian community through Heartland Community Church for 20-30 somethings to "build spiritual connections in a disconnected world." And then of course went to dinner with everyone and had a super-fantastic time chatting up the boy I have had a crush on for months - we've had an email relationship since, like, February or something. We're going camping and hiking in a couple weeks! YAY!

Great weekend!

No comments: