16 June 2005

circle of friends: part 2

My circle of friends just keeps increasing. I spent the evening last night in the company of some amazing people. My friend Amy had a going-away party for our friend Rachel "SpankinHankins." Rachel is leaving for Springfield to start her residency. She moves this weekend and I am sad. I just started getting to know her and already feel like we have so much in common: the same kindergarten teacher and possibly a couple other teachers, grew up in the same town, the loss of our mothers. I feel blessed to know her and hope to have the opportunity to get to know her more. I also spent some time talking with my friend Jon's girlfriend Chrissy and discovered that she too lost her mom. It's just amazing to me how God weaves us together and intertwines our lives. I was saying last night how I will tell people, new acquaintances, that my mom passed away 5 years ago and it seems that all they can say is, "Oh. Wow. I am sorry." They almost get uncomfortable like they're on a first date and the silence just hangs there in the space between them: heavy and solid. They don't understand and I know that, I don't expect them too. I mean how could they? So, that's why it was so nice to talk to a couple girls who have experienced that kind of loss, to talk to someone who knows what it feels like, to have this be one of the things that unifies us, to have an unspoken understanding. Rachel and Chrissy - love ya both! I look forward to further convos with each of you.

I also met a delightful soul named Julia whom I had heard so much about but had never actually met. She surprised me by saying she reads my blog on occasion and actually feels like she knows me at least a little. That was nice. This girl is hilarious! And smart too! She just finished medical school and is now starting law school in the fall. "So you can read? Are you sure?" Ha ha ah... I hopefully will have opportunities to spend more time with her and her vibrant personality.

Carl had the bonfire going in the grill and we made s'mores with peanut butter on them, which I am told that they are called Robinson Crusoes. So good I might add. I can't believe I have been missing out all this time. It's a tragedy.

It was a wonderful evening just making old friends out of strangers and talking with friends I've had a while. I feel so blessed!

1 comment:

amy said...

And for an even smaller world: Chrissy's roommate Michelle was friends with Cassie in Jr High and High School...they figured that out last night in the kitchen.