13 September 2005

is heaven perfect?

Today in Old Testament class we debated about whether or not Heaven is perfect. This started by questioning whether God created a "perfect" world before the fall of man. God is perfect, infinite, boundary-less. I understand that. The professor then said that God cannot create another entity that is also perfect, not because he is not powerful enough but because he would just be re-creating himself and he would no longer be God. In terms of spaciality, he cannot create something that is also boundary-less like himself. I understand that too. Prof defined perfection as being without even the possibility of commiting sin. He seems to think that Heaven is not perfect. But since God must be separate from sin (holiness and evilness cannot exist on the same "plane") wouldn't Heaven have to be holy? Why would God create a dwelling place for himself that was NOT perfect? Isn't Heaven holy? And isn't holy synonomous with sacred, consecrated, divine, sanctified, and perfect?

Also, was Jesus not perfect? He was tempted so was therefore presented with the opportunity (possibility) to sin. By Prof's definition he is not perfect. My whole life I have believed Jesus to be the only perfect person to walk the earth - the only person to live and remain sinless.

This whole thing has rocked my world and belief system a little bit. So I ask you, I want to know what you think... Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Bar L. said...

My thoughts: you are right, your prof is wrong. Jesus is God, part of the Holy (and perfect) Trinity and Heaven is perfect too - very hard to visualize, but I think it will be perfect.

Stephen said...

am i right to say that God pervades everything if He has no boundaries? if that is the case then isn't everything perfect since God pervades it all?

amy said...

Jesus is perfect. He IS God. God didn't create Jesus. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was with God." Heaven? Dunno. But I can understand that God wouldn't create another person who is perfect, but his own dwelling place? I think it's quite possibly perfect. Where did Lucifer dwell before he fell, before he was cast down? I know heaven will be free from pain and sorrow, and we will be in perfect union with God...sounds perfect to me.