16 September 2005

how's my vision?

How do I view God? Do I get a clear picture of God? Or is my vision blocked by something - clouded by my past maybe? It is the longing of my heart to view him as the Father portrayed in my favorite story in the Bible: The Parable of the Prodigal Son. What an image of God that story portrays! A God who gives me the choice to leave and the choice to come back. A God who, upon my return, doesn't rebuke me or lecture me but instead throws a party in my honor. A God who lifts up his robe and essentially humiliates himself and runs to me when he sees me coming home. A God who, even after I have disgraced him, still loves me and calls me "daughter." I wish I could say that I view him that way; but if I were to be honest I am afraid I'd have to say that I don't have that picture - at least not completely. I think it's coming into focus but it's still a little foggy around the edges. I pray that everyone would see God this way for it's an accurate portrayal of who he is. This should be added to my prayer list.

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I'm reading "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen right now, it's really good.

I want to see God this way too. And I want to be in love with Him. I want that, but I'm not there yet.