14 May 2006

contentment...

A year ago I was a member of Corporate America Anonymous. I was getting paid VERY well to manage a premier consulting office in a trendy part of Kansas City. It was a cushy job. One in which I should have been quite comfortable. And I was. For a while. A while being about 2 months. And then it got boring. The challenge was gone and routine had settled in. I felt completely unfulfilled in my work. It was a job that a number of my friends would have enjoyed and jumped at the chance to do. In fact, when they heard I was leaving, 2 of my friends applied and interviewed for my position. Both got hired - one for mine and the other for another position. It was a job that my friends wanted and competed against others to get, a job that could take you places. And yet, I found it severely lacking. I wasn't developing the relationships that I wanted and was not using or stretching my God-given gifts to further the kingdom. So I left. I moved to Alaska to be a full-time Bible college student. I went from making $40K to making absolutely nil. But you know what? I am happy. I am truly happy. Content. Fulfilled. I currently do the cooking and cleaning here on campus, where I am living for the summer, and am happy doing it. Dad, if you're reading this, you will know how big a deal that is because, as you know, I have NEVER enjoyed cleaning anything. But now, things are very different. I sing and even dance as I scrub away. And that's something I thought would never be possible in my life.

4 comments:

michelle said...

and how...yes i had the realization tonight that as i sat there in chili's waiting for service i almost forgot that i used to do that job and how hard it was...and that really made me think...i am sooooooo happy and content with how my life is now vs. a year ago...praise god for making all things new again! :)

amy said...

Right on my friend! I left $55k/yr for $12k/yr and it was the BEST career move I've ever made. :)

Anonymous said...

Dad is reading and he is so pleased with you, I am dancing too. Dance, my princess, dance! I love you!

Mark D said...

That is very, very cool!

(sorry I am so behind on blog reading - trying to catch up)