29 April 2006

surprise, surprise...

8 am this morning my phone rings after only 4 hours of sleep. (5 of us girls snuck out last night and went to Sal's, an all-night diner here in town.) So the phone rings and I hit snooze on my alarm. It keeps ringing. I try to figure out what it is and where my phone is, etc... Finally, I answer. This is the conversation that took place.

Me: Mm, Hello.
Dad: Good morning sunshine.
Me: Good morning.
Dad: Did I wake you up?
Me: Yeah.
Dad: Let's see, what time is it there? It's 11 here so it's what, 8am there?
Me: Yeah. And I just went to bed at 4am.
Dad: Oh, late night, eh?
Me: Yep.
Dad: What time do you have to be up and around today?
Me: Oh we have graduation rehearsal at 9am, then a BBQ at 11:30, then a baptism service at 2, and a banquet tonight at 5.
Dad: Wow! That sounds like a busy day. So how was your retreat?
Me: Oh it was a lot of fun but it went way too fast.
Dad: I bet. I bet it was kinda hard too since everyone's leaving and it was your last solid time together.
Me: Yeah, it was hard. But it was also very good.
Dad: So, if you have to be at rehearsal at 9am, do you have time for breakfast?
Me: Mmm, I don't know. I don't usually eat breakfast, especially... Wait... WHAT?
Dad: Do you have time to go out for breakfast with your Dad?
Me: WHAT?
Dad: Yeah, I am on campus in the guest duplex. I came in last night and spent the night here.
Me: Are you serious?
Dad: Yeah, I am serious. Do you want to go have breakfast?
Me: Dad, are you sure? Are you serious?
Dad: Yes I am serious. Be out front in 10 minutes.
Me (through tears): Are you being for real?
Dad: Just be out front in 10 minutes and find out.

I don't think I have ever gotten up that fast - especially after only just a few hours of sleep. But I went and he was there and it was the best surprise in the world. Yesterday my friend Stephanie said that she might come up this summer and that made my day. But this made my weekend, I think. I was so thankful! The past couple days I was walking around kinda sad 'cause it seemed like almost everyone elses' families were coming in and I wanted my dad to be here to see me graduate. I mentioned this a couple times to a few of the staff and they knew all along that he was coming. (They all know my dad because he was on staff here in 2002 so it made it very easy for him to do.) He planned it just this last Wednesday so it was all very fast. I couldn't believe it. So I had breakfast with my dad today and it was wonderful to see him. He will be here just until Monday morning but I am so thankful that he came. It really means a lot to me. It was the best graduation gift I could get. I love my daddy!

4 comments:

amy said...

Ceej, this post gave me goosebumps. I'm glad you had such a good surprise. Ah, my heart is so warm right now after reading this. :)

michelle said...

there are somethings only a daddy can do...like manage to call and wake you up without awaking the morning grump monster.

what a wonderous surprise!

michelle said...

ps...happy graduation! congrats! :)

Mark D said...

Very cool! I like surprises like that. Congrats on your graduation!