20 April 2006

i am so awesome...

It's true. God said so. And he proved it when he made me.

I did a word study on the first 18 verses of Psalm 139, which, by the way, is probably my most favorite passage in the Bible (although there are some other ones that are pretty mind-blowing). Basically, I looked up the verse and then I took the key words (nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc...) and looked them up in an exhaustive concordance for the original Hebrew word. And then I looked at the original word's more correct transliteration. Finally I rewrote the passage using what I had found. So it's like my own version of The Message. How rad is that? So here's what I found... Hike up your socks 'cause this'll blow 'em off (at least it did me).

"O Creator God, with whom I have a covenant relationship, you have examined and investigated me, and you understand me intimately. You know me, where I dwell and what inhabits me. You know when I sit and when I rise. You consider with full attention my intentions from afar. You measure my way of living and see me when I lie down; you are familiar with all my collective thoughts, my moral character, and my course of life. Before a word is in my mouth, you know it completely, O Creator God. You encircle me; you go forever with me and follow close behind me. Even in ancient times, you were already with me. Your presence with me is eternal and everlasting. You are with me from the west to the east and from the east to the west. You have laid your power and strength upon me. Such understanding and wisdom is too incomprehensible, too extraordinary for me, too exalted for me to grasp. Where can I go from your breath, from your Spirit? Where can I escape the favor of your presence? If I go up to the place of the stars, sky, and air, you are there; if I were to go to the grave, you would be there. If I were to rise on the wings of daybreak you would be there. Even on the far sides of the sea, I am still within your reach. When I settle for other gods, you still have not left me. Your power continues to guide me and bring me back to you, away from the others that I have put before you, the one true God. Even when I put other things before you, you do not do the same with me. When I put other things ahead of you, you still keep me fastened to your right hand. If I say, “Surely, I can hide in my ignorance and my happy attitude will be dissolved into the pleasures of the night,” even the darkness will not be dark to you. Even my ignorance does not hide me from you. You will make my face shine and establish favorable circumstance with me and provide peace and relief from trouble. The night will be resplendent with your light, like the day, for darkness is as the morning light to you. For you brought forth my inmost heart, mind, and spirit; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I make a public confession of your excellence because I am so awesome, so marvelous. When you made me, it caused others to be astounded by my wonder. I know by experience that your works are wonderful; I understand that completely. My bones were not concealed from you when I was made from the dust of the earth behind the veil; your eyes saw my unformed body. I was embroidered, woven together, using colored thread. I am colorful, vibrant. My forever was crafted by you and was engraved in stone tablets before I was even conceived. Oh, how precious, how costly, to me are your thoughts, Mighty One! How numerous and powerful is the sum of them. If I were to proclaim them, they would outnumber the grains of sand and I would be proclaiming them into all eternity. When I go through summer, even as the seasons change and pass me by, I am still with you."

And to think, this is true of each and every one of us. So you're awesome too. *_*

4 comments:

Mark D said...

You are awesome, I am awesome, and we serve and AWESOME God! What a great post!

so i go said...

wow, wow, wow.. incredible.

amy said...

I needed to read that this morning like you have no idea. Thanks friend.

Erin said...

CJ, this is fantastic! I look forward to reading it over many times!