30 October 2005

the sabbath of the year...

My friend Amy (visit her here - her general blog, and here - at her ministry newsletter) says she heard it said somewhere that Autumn is the sabbath of the year and that she believes it, and I believe it too. She posted a wonderful piece on this concept over here. I encourage you to read it if you have time. And I encourage you even more to read it if you DON'T have time because it's just what you need to hear. What are you waiting for? Go and read it NOW! Here's a little teaser:

Perhaps I'd do well to stop sometimes to take a lesson from the trees and just blush in the Father's presence. Lately my sabbaths have been filled with appointments and meetings and cleaning and preparing—and that stops right here. This Monday, my next sabbath, I'm going to remember the trees. I'm going to listen to God and let myself renew, and rest, and breathe, and simply blush in his presence.


While Autumn looks a little different here, as there are not any blushing trees anymore, as the snow has already come, God has still reminded me of just how this is a time for rest and renewal. On my way back down from Anchorage today, I had the worship music blaring and was watching the mountains roll past and watching the great sklyine of this state: mountains, winter clouds, patches of sunlight and patches of snow. The scenery was breathtaking and once more I realized that I get to live in one huge, ginormous postcard! Everywhere I look, no matter where I am, there is a perfect masterpiece to behold. How could I NOT worship - even without music, how could you NOT? Never in my life have I seen such beautiful sights! Sorry Colorado - while you were my first love I have found the strength to move on! I am so blessed. God is making himself so real to me and it's just freaking amazing! Again, I started asking "How could anyone look at all of this and still wonder whether or not there's a God?" It just doesn't make sense to me that one could question this when it's so obvious that he IS and that he is all around! (I will post pictures as soon as I can - tomorrow or Tuesday, I promise!)

And, because today I am so blessed by what other people have written, (and also only slightly because I am a little lazy after a weekend away in Anchorage) here is an excerpt from another friend of mine, Jeff, in Indiana (visit him
here - in his 1st volume, and here - in his 2nd volume). I believe God calls us all to be a little dangerous and to live life a little on the edge for Him. Here's what he has to say, so articulately I might add, about this idea:

You’ll have to hang on and lean into the turns, and trust it and feel the wind on your face. It’s a life he beckons and cajoles you to, the very same one that he doesn’t force. It’s a new life with a new purpose, and it’s out there. It’s rough and it gets cold and it rains sometimes. Your knuckles will bleed and your skin will chafe. The road will get slick and the wheels will feel like they’ll skid out from under you. And it’s dirty. And it’s really not safe at all.


Isn't that just perfect? (You can read this whole chapter here.) A lot of times God's work and calling and will for us is NOT safe! We can face persecution, hardships, trials, and wind just like everyone else. But it's knowing where your destination is that makes it all worth it in the end! I read this excerpt last week when I shared my testimony with my fellow classmates and all the staff here at school. I included it because I believe in it. It's one of the reasons I chose to follow God's call, risk it all, and come to Alaska. It was a little reckless!

Thank you, God, for blessing Jeff and Amy with the gift of prose! And thank you Jeff and Amy for sharing your gifts with the rest of us!

2 comments:

so i go said...

thank you for your sweet and encouraging words. you are truly an inspiration.

amy said...

Hey hon. Thanks for the props! (And, re: your comment...ahem, certain people read that thing. Know what I mean?) *wink*