28 August 2006

a very good year...

Okay. My little break is over. But boy was it ever grand! Even more grand though is all the possibilities and promise that lie in the year ahead.

All the students came back last Thursday. It was so good to meet the new people and see the returning students again. I missed them so much. Already this year feels so much more different than last year. It's a difference that's palpable. I know I am going to love this coming year and this coming year is going to love me.

I am taking Art Appreciation. It's taking the place of Peace Studies, a Philosophy 300 level class that was cancelled due to lack of interest. We met for the first time tonight and I went in excited and I came out intimidated. I thought it was going to be mostly art theory and history. And it is that. But we will also be actually doing art. And that terrifies me. I was so close to walking out within the first 15 minutes after learning that we would actually be doing art. But a small part of me said "Stay. Learn. Stretch. Grow." And for once in my life the small part of me won over. I am actually a little bit looking forward to the class now. It's already changed my perspectives on some things, and that's only after a 2 hour lecture. And I am taking Intro to Paraprofessional Counseling and Film as Literature (aka Film Noir). These 3 classes I am taking at Kenai Peninsula College - a branch of University of Alaska-Anchorage. And I am taking Ministry Practicum here at Alaska Christian College. I am really looking forward to the lighter 12-hour load this semester compared to Spring's heavy 21 credits.

I have a new job. As of today I am the new Community Relations Assistant at Kenai Peninsula College. It's 20 hours/week and I think it will be an awesome opportunity to learn new skills and get connected to my new community outside of Alaska Christian College.

This year I plan to:

  • have more fun than I did last year. I was so focused on studying and getting good grades and being on the SALT team that I missed out on a lot of fun stuff. This year will be different. It's okay to play. I have to remember that.
  • focus more on relationships. The biggest thing that I missed out on last year was people and relationships. I want my relationships with people to be my most treasured possessions. Already the dynamic between others and me is different - in a very good, rich, and rewarding way.
  • maybe even get in a little bit of trouble. Not big trouble Poppa, don't worry! But if I get written up for sneaking off campus to go to Sal's with the girls after lockup then that's one more memory that I will have made and who knows how many friendships solidified. Last year I was too legalistic. I was appalled at even the idea of breaking the rules.
  • start tithing on a regular and consistent basis. It is something I have heard about my whole life but recently it seems like it's being driven in, you know? I have lived so selfishly in the past and that part of me is ugly like a cancer.
  • become more of an artist - in the visual arts form. I have always been fairly self-conscious about my artistic abilities (my sister Lisa took the limelight in this area). In a way, I have been neglecting the artist that truly does live inside of me. We're all artists.
  • live deeply and love well and live well and love deeply. 'nough said.
  • continue to travel into uncharted territory in my relationship with my Lover, my Creator, and my Saviour.
Yes. It's going to be a very good year.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

And may the God of peace, and the peace of God, go with you this year.

B~

PS - have fun at Sal's. ;-)

Anonymous said...

May all your troubles be memories that leave a legacy - have fun and be what God created you to be

michelle said...

rejoice in all he says and does and how he rules the world...

yes. have a blast this year! and dont be afraid to have some fun! :)