18 March 2006

down to me...

"I want to experience this same stillness in my heart," I said to God last night as I sat outside watching the snow fall. They were the big, thick, dense snowflakes that are so pretty. There was no wind. There was no traffic. Everyone else had gone to bed. It was just me and God. And it was perfect. It was a lot like God was bringing pieces of himself down to me. I just sat and tried to empty my mind of all that I have thought about this week and attempted to just be with the Lord. And for a while, I succeeded. It really was quite magical and peaceful. And then I realized how late it was and remembered how early I had to get up this morning.

As of today, I feel like a true Alaskan. I spent most of the day snowshoeing with friends and the snow didn't stop. We headed out about 9am, hit the trail at 11, and spent the next 3 1/2 hours in the midst of God's beauty. We had a pretty steep climb the first mile and then it flattened out after that. Our goal was to make it to a couple lakes (Carter and Crescent) but we never quite made it. The scenery on the way was well worth it though (see pictures below). I am a little sore right now but it's the good sore; I feel great. We're heading out again next Saturday. And I can't wait.

snowshoeing 03-18-06 027

snowshoeing 03-18-06 017

snowshoeing 03-18-06 013

snowshoeing 03-18-06 015

snowshoeing 03-18-06 020

Dan Thornton, my New Testament prof this semester; my friends Sylvia Sheldon, Timm Nelson, and Jeff Siemers, who was also my Service Learning prof last semester (he's done Rainier in Washington twice and is going again this summer)
dan, syl, timm, jeff

of course, your's truly
snowshoeing 03-18-06 018

snowshoeing 03-18-06 024

2 comments:

Mark D said...

Cool pics!

I love that kind of snowfall. I like how it dampens all the sound so things are so quiet you can almost hear your own heartbeat. Very peaceful.

Stephen said...

looks like you're thriving!