16 July 2005

i can't get no "satisfication..."

Last night a few of us (Rader, Grady, Nida and I) were driving to Crown Center for the Free Friday Night Movie (this week it was Top Gun and next week is The Princess Bride). Basically they show a movie outside on a big screen and everyone brings lawn chairs and blankets and food and beverages of all kinds and just chills out. Anyhow, on the way down Grady was talking about how he's not really sure what the future holds for him right now. He knows he's being called to something but doesn't know what that is and feels he has a higher purpose but it's been eluding him so far. I got the feeling he was saying he felt like it was just beyond his reach and if he just had that magic key or some divine encounter it would all just come to him glowing like the sun and he would just know that it was right. I said that I could relate because I feel I am called into ministry in some capacity but don't know what avenue to take to get there and said it's frustrating knowing the direction I want to go and knowing what I want and not being able to just get it. This is when Rader coined the term "satisfication" - obviously it's a cross between gratification and satisfaction. I think what he meant to say was "instant gratifiction" is elusive. We continued the discussion and we all agreed that we should never feel satisfied with where we are and if we do, then there's obviously something wrong with where we are. This kind of all leads back to Monday's entry when I posted about the sermon the day before and how we are to "Love God and do what we want." I still have a hard time really grasping that idea. The Bible says we are each designed for a specific purpose, we each have a special part to contribute. I just want to know what my part is, 'cause meanwhile I can't get no satisfication.

Later, that same night, we went to Charlie Hoopers in Brookside where Jim and I got our butts beat in shuffleboard by Nida and Shea. As we were leaving we had fun pushing random people around in a shopping cart.

I need to get moving. I am moving in with my best friend, Nida - well, it's her mom's house really but her mom's in D.C. for at least a year, probably longer, for work. I am feeling really lazy though because it's 12:48 in the afternoon and it's already 97 outside. And humid. I guess it's a good thing I have a couple weeks, eh?

Reunion is tonight! I am sure I will have stories to tell...

No comments: